I’m excited to introduce this week’s guest, Bella Lindemann, who is a specialist in functional diagnostic nutrition and whose area of expertise is the gut, and specifically those individuals who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and associated complaints.
The gut is often referred to as the second brain. As humans, we give the gut a lot of credit for the way we think and act and it crops up time and again in phrases that we probably don’t even realise we are using, such as “I have a gut feeling” and “trust your gut”. Everything you eat or drink goes through the gastro intestinal (GI) tract, which is like a garden hose filled with bacteria, good and bad. In fact, this ecosystem is known as the microbiome. As well as digestion, these bacteria have a huge influence on the immune system and consequently our health. Many of you have probably experienced an upset stomach after a spicy meal or over consumption of alcohol. And many triathletes, including myself, have endured a wide range of gut issues, especially in longer distance events.
This is a fascinating podcast and may well answer many of your gut related questions. If it doesn’t, please let me know so that we can get Bella back on for another show to answer your specific queries. Topics we chat about in this show include:
- Common gut issues and why they occur
- The importance of eating a diverse range of fruits and vegetables (see my challenge HERE)
- Yet another expert suggests avoiding refined sugars and processed foods
- Grape polyphenols and why a daily glass of red wine might be a good thing
- Runners tummy and how to overcome the problem
- Should you take pre or probiotics on a regular basis?
- Does IBS really exist and is there a cure?
- Why you get GI problems during long distance triathlons
- The ‘Clean 15’ and ‘The Dirty Dozen’
- Bella’s top 5 tips for a healthy gut
To find out more about Bella and her services, please use the links below
Website - The Functional Gut Health Clinic
Facebook - www.facebook.com/bellalindemann/
Links to other topics we discussed
"No Guts, No Glory” The Outside magazine article on the American Gut project
Blog post - Leaky Gut and food sensitivities
Blog post - everything you need to know about IBS
Blog post - all you need to know about Constipation
To find out more about Simon’s SWAT programme, please click HERE
Visit Simon's website for more information about his coaching programmes
For any questions please email Beth@TheTriathlonCoach.com